Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 April 2011

Autobiographical sketches 66 - burning the dead rats

This was when I lived in Cassland Road in Hackney in a Patchwork Housing Association shared house. The woman downstairs had kept rats and being a bit of a flake, they had died when she forgot to give them water and food. Being traumatised by what she had done she just covered up the cage and put it in a corner. A few years later, we moved in and found it. So we burnt it, being a bit freaked out, rats and cage, in the back garden.

I see I have imaginatively located the Georgian architecture of Cassland Road back in some kind of nineteen seventies land, which was the domestic architecture of my formative years. Shame I wasn't brought up in a palace or in some kind of shabby chic Victoriana.

1 comment: