Search This Blog

Saturday 26 February 2011

All Skin and Bones

This very nice folk singer at Spoonful of Poison alerted me to the joys of the Warner Collection. I did a little You Tube search and found a very nice version of Skin and Bones from the collection which I will maybe sing with Richard in Foulkestone. The lyrics are so nice as they are a kind of mediaeval type of poem or homily and it has made me think of adapting more middle english verse for our group.

There was an old lady
All skin and bones
Mmmm

She thought she’d go
To church one day
To hear the parson
Preach and pray
Mmmm

But when she got
Unto the stile
She thought she’d rest
A little while

Mmmmm

And when she got
Unto the door
She thought she’d rest
A little more
MMM

She looked up
She looked down
She spied a corpse
Upon the ground

The woman to
The parson said
Will I look so
When I am dead
Mmmmmm

The parson to
The woman said
You will look so
When you are dead
Mmmmm

The woman to
The parson said
Mmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment